Commemorated on September 1

The Chernigov-Gethsemane Icon of the Mother of God is a copy from the famed Chernigov-Il’insk Icon of the Mother of God, which was to bechernigov icon found at the Trinity Il’insk monastery near Chernigov on Mount Boldina, and where in the XI Century for a certain while the Monk Antonii of Pechersk pursued asceticism. To the description of the miracles from this icon, beginning with 16-24 April 1662, Sainted Dimitrii of Rostov in his book “The Bedewed Fleece” (Oroshennoe Runo) wrote in conclusion: “The end of the booklet, but not of the miracles of the MostHoly Mother of God, since who is it that can count them”. The grace-bearing power of this icon is manifest also in its copies.
The Chernigov-Gethsemane Icon of the Mother of God was written in the mid XVIII Century and passed on in 1852 to the Trinity Sergiev Lavra by Alexandra Grigor’evna Philippova, piously having had it for a quarter century. (This icon was passed on to her by the priest Ioann Alekseev, to whom in turn it came from one of the monks of the Trinity Sergiev Lavra.) On the advice of the head of the Lavra, Archimandrite Antonii (+ 1 May 1877), the icon was placed in the newly-consecrated cave church named for the Holy Archistratigos [Leader of the Heavenly Hosts] Michael, which was consecrated on 27 October 1851 by the Metropolitan of Moscow Philaret (+ 19 November 1867), who assumed an active role in the building of the Gethsemane skete-monastery. In such manner, the icon took in the currents of grace of all the history of the Russian Church, – it acquired the blessing of the Monk Antonii of Pechersk, of the Monk Sergei of Radonezh and of his parents the schema-monastics Kirill and Maria (+ 1337, a votive liturgy for them with the reading of a special prayer is made on 28 September and on Thursday of the Week of the Publican and Pharisee), and finally, of the ascetics of the XIX Century. These spiritual connections providentially come forth through the Chernigov-Gethsemane Icon of the Mother of God.

      It is remarkable, that the first miracle from this icon was witnessed on the day of the Church New Year – 1 September 1869, when the 28 year old peasant of Tula governance, Thekla Adrianova, was healed, having been completely crippled constantly for 9 years. Living at the hostel by the caves, and then at the Lavra during the celebration of the Repose of the Monk Sergei (25 September), Thekla recovered completely. Sainted Innocent (Innokentii) the Metropolitan of Moscow (1797-1879, Comm. 23 September and 31 March), learned of the miracle from his daughter the Nun Poliksenia, treasurer of the Borisovsk wilderness monastery. On the feast of the Monk Sergei, he himself met with Thekla and asked her about all the details of the healing. On 26 September 1869 Sainted Innocent arrived at the Gethsemane skete and gave the blessing to make molieben before the glorified icon while he himself prayed with tears.
By 26 September there had occurred already three graced healings and a whole series of miracles in November of that same year. The fame of the icon of the Mother of God spread with unusual swiftness. Exhausted by suffering and sickness, thirsting for bodily and spiritual healing, people from every class of society came with firm faith to the wonderworking icon, and the mercy of God did not forsake them. Towards the beginning of the XX Century more than 100 miracles were witnessed. By its great esteem the icon benefited the ascetics of the Gethsemane skete: the schema-monk Philip (+ 18 May 1868), the founder of the cave-monastery, and his three sons – the priest-schemamonks Ignatii (+ 1900), Porphyrii (+ 1905 ?) and Vasilii (+ 1 April 1915). They preserved accounts about the deep love, which the priestmonk starets (monastic elder) Isidor (+ 3 February 1908) displayed for the Chernigov-Gethsemane Icon.
The initial celebration of the icon was established on 16 April, on the day when also was the celebration of the Cherigov-Il’insk icon. Afterwards it was transferred to the day of glorification – 1 September. At the present time at Trinity-Sergiev Lavra there are venerable copies of the Chernigov-Gethsemane icon – within the temple in honour of the Monk Sergei, in the monastery refectory, and in the portico of the Trinity cathedral, – written by elders of the Gethsemane skete and the Zosimov wilderness-monastery.

© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Черниговская-Гефсиманская икона Божией Матери

Дни памяти: 1 сентября

Черниговская-Гефсиманская икона Божией Матери является списком с прославленной Черниговской-Ильинской иконы Божией Матери, которая находилась в Троицком Ильинском монастыре близ Чернигова, на Болдиной горе, где в ХI в. некоторое время подвизался преподобный Антоний Печерский. Описанию чудес от этой иконы, начавшихся 16-24 апреля 1662 года, святитель Димитрий Ростовский посвятил книгу “Руно Орошенное”, заканчивая которую он писал: “Конец книжки, но не чудес Пресвятой Богородицы, ибо кто может их исчислить”.
Благодатная сила этой иконы проявилась и в ее списках.
Икона Божией Матери Черниговская-Гефсиманская была написана на полотне в ХVIII в. и передана в 1852 году в Троице-Сергиеву Лавру Александрой Григорьевной Филипповой, благоговейно хранившей ее у себя четверть века. (К ней эта икона перешла как благословение хотьковского священника Иоанна Алексеева, которому, в свою очередь, она досталась от одного из монахов Троице-Сергиевой Лавры.)
По совету наместника Лавры архимандрита Антония († 1 мая 1877) икона была помещена в новоустроенном пещерном храме в честь святого Архистратига Михаила, который был освящен 27 октября 1851 года митрополитом Московским Филаретом († 19 ноября 1867), принимавшим деятельное участие в строительстве Гефсиманского скита. Таким образом, икона впитала благодатные токи всей истории Русской Церкви, она стяжала благословения преподобного Антония Печерского, Преподобного Сергия Радонежского, его родителей, схимонахов Кирилла и Марии († 1337; заупокойная литургия по ним с чтением специальной молитвы совершается 28 сентября и в четверток седмицы мытаря и фарисея), и, наконец, подвижников ХIХ в. Эти духовные связи промыслительно обнаружились через Черниговскую-Гефсиманскую икону Божией Матери.
Знаменательно, что первое чудо от этой иконы было засвидетельствовано в день церковного Новолетия – 1 сентября 1869 года, когда от полного расслабления, продолжавшегося в течение 9 лет, исцелилась 28-летняя крестьянка Тульской губернии Фекла Адрианова. Прожив в гостинице при пещерах, а потом в Лавре до празднования преставления Преподобного Сергия (25 сентября), Фекла совершенно выздоровела. Святитель Иннокентий, митрополит Московский (1797-1879; память 23 сентября и 31 марта), узнал о чуде от своей дочери, казначеи Борисовской пустыни, монахини Поликсении.
На празднике Преподобного Сергия он сам встретился с Феклой и расспрашивал ее обо всех обстоятельствах исцеления.
26 сентября 1869 года святитель Иннокентий прибыл в Гефсиманский скит и благословил совершить молебное пение пред прославившейся иконой и сам молился со слезами. До 26 сентября произошло еще три благодатных исцеления и целый ряд чудес в ноябре того же года. Слава иконы Божией Матери распространялась с необычайной быстротой. Измученные страданиями и болезнями, жаждущие телесного и духовного исцеления, люди самых разных сословий с твердой верой шли к чудотворной иконе, и милость Божия не оставляла их. К началу ХХ в. было засвидетельствовано более 100 чудес. Большим почитанием пользовалась икона у подвижников Гефсиманского скита: у схимонаха Филиппа († 18 мая 1868), основавшего пещеры, у его трех сыновей – иеросхимонахов Игнатия († 1900), Порфирия († 1905?) и Василия († 1 апреля 1915). Сохранились сведения о той глубокой любви, которую проявлял к Черниговской-Гефсиманской иконе старец иеромонах Исидор († 3 февраля 1908). Первоначально празднование иконе было установлено 16 апреля, в тот же день, что и празднование Черниговской-Ильинской иконе, а затем перенесено на день прославления – 1 сентября. Ныне в Троице-Сергиевой Лавре известны чтимые списки с Черниговской – Гефсиманской иконы в храме в честь Преподобного Сергия, в монастырской трапезной и в притворе Троицкого собора, писанные старцами Гефсиманского скита и Зосимовой пустыни.

 

 

355029_300

Православный телеканал «Союз»
Orthodox TV Channel Soyuz

Russian Language School Dialogue (Cheltenham)

Novello-Logo-square

Novello Skin

Follow us on Facebook

twitter icon

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Google+

Synod of Bishops of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

Diocese of Great Britain & Ireland Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

Russian Orthodox Parish in Cardiff

ROCOR Cathedral in London Кафедральный Собор Успения Пресвятой Богородицы и Святых Царственных Мучеников

images (89)

Greek Orthodox Church of St John Chrysostom, Bentham,Cheltenham

ROCOR Fund for Assistance

Directory of Orthodox Internet Resources

Chernobyl Children's Project UK - Gloucestershire & Cheltenham

new logo

Chosen charity: Sue Ryder

Networking group

Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain

Belarusians.co.uk

Pushkin House, London

Angliya weekly newspaper

Vesti Britani

Pulse UK newspaper

London Info bi-lingual weekly newspaper

Interfax news agency

Russian Thought Magazine